Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Password Cracking System

Yea... Sorry it is just true. I was hanging out with D3ad0ne at a recent SANS conference then he unleashed the monster below on me.
I have to say that I felt a bit dizzy just thinking about the specs for this monster. The biggest shock was that it was cooled not my water, but with Chuck Norris's tears. Sure, the damn things cure cancer, but D3ad0ne uses them to cool his password cracking system.
Below is the insane email he sent me with pics of the beast.

##Begin D3ad0ne's email##
Hey John, You said to send you the specs on my super hash cracking rig. I call it Erebus after the Greek god. So lets get down to the stats:
Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 Classifed
CPU(s): Two Intel Xeon x5650's, 24 total cores
GPU(s): Six EVGA GTX 480 Hydrocopper, 2,880 total cores
Memory: 12GB Corsair Dominator tripple channel
Harddrive1: 1TB drive dual boot Ubuntu/Win7,
Harddrive2: Two SSD Corsair C300 128GB drives in raid 0
Just FYI stuff:
The system is set up to be versatile running dual boot Win7 64 and Ubuntu 64. With 12GB and 24 CPU's I can run a dozen virtual machines for testing in a lab environment. The SSD's have gig's of rainbow tables, and dictionaries for use with cracking hashes. Using Cryptohaze GPU rainbow table program I can find hashes in the rainbow tables within seconds thanks to the GPU/SSD combination. Mostly I use hashcat or oclhashcat. Oclhashcat is able to utilize both dictionaries and bruteforce separately or at the same time including rules, all on the GPU, It is also one of only a few tools that is supported in both windows and linux as well as being able to use both nvidia or ati video cards. For NTLM without overclocking I tend to get around 10.5Billion password attempts a second even with several thousand hashes. The creator Atom is also working on a multigpu version of md5(unix) and currently I am getting 5.5million/sec. This may seem slow but usually with JTR you may only see a couple hundred/sec with this hash type. If I'm cracking something with dictionaries and I want to use a lot of rules, I will use regular hashcat, if I use the -n 24 switch it will utilize all 24 CPU cores 100%.
So far I've spent close to $10K US. But I'm also getting a second shelf with a PCI-E bus extender from a company called Magma. The ExpressBox4 will allow me to install up to 4 more cards, but I only plan on getting 2 more GTX 480's, so 8 in all. Also I should mention that all the GPU's are water cooled, as well as the CPU's. I use a program coded by Atom to allow me to test the GPU's to ensure that the shaders are 100% stable when overclocking. Currently I can run the GPU shaders at 1711Mhz instead of the stock 1400Mhz so a little over 17% over stock. And of course hash cracking speed is based off of the number of cores * clock speed. In total it surpasses 5 TeraFLOPS. Not bad for a personally owned machine. Pictures attached. :)

http://www.reddit.com/tb/dn1o7

1 comment: